Wednesday 11 October 2017

International Day of the Girl 2017

Today is International Day of the Girl. Having a daughter myself, I have become more aware of how books are marketed to girls. For example, the other day I stumbled across one all about make-up and waxing and the like, for pre-teens!

Why should girls have books about make-up forced upon them while boys get action and adventure and brave heroes saving the day? I know this is an outrageous sweeping generalisation, but it is broadly true.

So it's important to me that two of my recent books are focused on female heroines - Alice's Nightmare in Wonderland and The Wicked Wizard of Oz.



And of course the forthcoming NEVERLAND will focus on a certain Wendy Darling, and that's no coincidence.

I wonder if she's a girl?

No comments: